We are committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience and are actively working to ensure that this website is accessible and usable by people of all abilities.
If you have any problems using the site, we would really like to know. We will try and sort it out quickly and offer you any advice we can. You can contact us here.
We are working with Reachdeck, a tool from Texthelp. It helps us to make our online content more available to everyone. The ReachDeck Toolbar is one of three ways it does this. The ReachDeck Toolbar offers our visitors assistive features, giving them a choice in how they access our online information.
But, why is this important?
Globally 1 in 7 people have a disability. For many, they experience barriers when they’re on the web. For example, people with visual impairments might struggle if information is only available in text format. And those with cognitive disabilities might find it difficult to read information on a crowded web page. This can impact their ability to browse, buy and access online content or services. What's more, only 1 in 10 people in need have access to assistive technology. By adding the ReachDeck Toolbar, we're giving extra support to people that might need it.
Our visitors can choose to have our content read out loud. They can remove distracting content, or add a screen tint with a reading pane to help them focus. They can translate our web pages into over 100 languages. And much more!
Try it out for yourself
Can you see the orange launchpad on your screen. Click it to launch the ReachDeck Toolbar. To hear text read out loud, simply click on the first icon and hover your mouse over any text. From a touchscreen device you’ll have to click on the text to hear it.
Now, apply a screen tint by clicking on the eye icon. To explore more, click on the question mark (?) icon to discover what each feature on the toolbar does.
ReachDeck supports our goal for the future
We want to do our part to create a digital world that’s welcoming to everyone. As well as giving our visitors support tools, ReachDeck supports our goals by:
- Helping us to write content that’s easier to understand. The ReachDeck Editor gives our staff a tool to make sure that what they write is simple and clear. It helps them to improve the readability of all their content.
- Helping us to discover accessibility problems quickly. The ReachDeck Auditor scans our site for technical WCAG errors and readability errors. So that we can fix and remove accessibility barriers with ease.
For more information on ReachDeck, visit: https://www.texthelp.com/products/reachdeck/
If you’d like to give feedback on ReachDeck, the team at Texthelp would love to hear from you.
Although there are changes you can make to your devices, we strive to uphold an AA standard of the World Wide Web Consortium's Web Accessibility Initiative. Here's a few things we have done to make sure our website is accessible for all.
- Consistent layout with clear headings
- Customised styling options
- Text to speech functionality
- Reading aids
- Colour, ruler and screen mask
- Plain text mode, margins and audio download
- A site map to assist with easily finding pages
- Keyboard accessible navigation
- Clear and simple language, we try not to use any jargon!
- Easy to read font size (and the option to change this at the bottom of each page)
- Large buttons, easily identifiable links and form fields
- Translation tool
To learn more about the standards we uphold please click here.
The BBC have made a series of accessibility guides, to help you change your computer and browser settings to make websites more accessible. They have split these guides into these helpful sections:
- I can't see very well
- I am blind
- I can't hear very well
- I find words difficult
- I find a keyboard or mouse difficult to use
These guides will help you to use your keyboard instead of the mouse, make your computer speak aloud, and make the text bigger. An overview of all the guides can be found here.
Easy Read Documents
If you require any of the information available on our site in an easy read format, please get in touch.